We offer upgrades for each of our Xetch® etching systems. Please see below for our standard upgrades. If you are interested in upgrading your existing Xetch® etching system, please contact us.
- Thin Metal Lid with Viewport
- Quartz Showerhead Lid
- Touch Screen
- Continuous Flow
- Advanced Recipe
- Advanced Experimentation
- Record experimental results for later review
- Process monitoring
- Color camera
- Synchronize taking pictures to etch pulses or take pictures at a defined interval
- Manage pictures and cross reference to lot number and date/time
- Full camera exposure control
For the Xetch e1 this upgrade requires the microscope option.Available on all Xetch models.
from a die
- Binocular zoom microscope
- Minimum magnification: 10X
- Maximum magnification: 67.5X
- Ring illuminator
- Stand for mounting the microscope next to the Xetch e1
- Much better optical clarity of window
- Decreased minimum working distance
- Lower replacement cost if the window becomes cloudy
- Replacement discs available in a wide variety of materials including acrylic, quartz and glass
- Better vacuum seal and lower moisture retention as compared to the acrylic lid
- Easy to install
- Window: 6 mm or 1/4" thick, 4" diameter discs available from a wide variety of sources
- Lid materials: aluminum and stainless steel
- O-ring material: Viton
Available for all 6" Xetch models.
Available as an upgrade on the e1, X2 and X3. Standard on the X4.
Available for upgrade on the e1. Standard on the X4.
This upgrade for the Xetch e1 adds heaters and temperature control for the gas box, expansion chamber and process chamber. This increases the vapor pressure of XeF2 resulting in faster etch rates. It also increases the process stability by decreasing the effect of the ambient temperature on all aspects of the process.
- Higher etch pressure = higher etch rates
- Better system stability
- Process Chamber Temperature: Room Temperature to 55°C
- Gas Box Temperature: Room Temperature to 55°C
- Expansion Chamber Temperature: Gas Box Temperature to 55°C
- Heaters for gas box, expansion chamber and process chamber
- Thermocouples and temperature controllers
- Hardware over-temperature interlocks
- Temperature set points set in Xetch software
- Temperatures displayed in Xetch software
Available for upgrade on the e1.
- Easier to achieve high uniformity
- More obvious etch depth control
- Hardware including MFC and automatic pressure controller
- Recipe creation and process control for continuous flow recipes
- Graphing of key process variables, including flow and pressure
With the Advanced Recipe Package you can create additional types of recipes which help improve selectivity and throughput. It provides additional recipe creation screens as outlined below.
This mode can significantly decrease the total etch time, especially when using very short pulses. The recipe includes all of the parameters for etching in normal mode plus defines the pump down pressure for the expansion chamber.
Raising the pressure at the bottom of the cycle decreases the pump down time in each cycle making the cycle shorter. Since the time to pump down increases nonlinearly with lower pressures this can save significant time.Main Advantage: Shorter etch times
This mode is used to maintain lower substrate temperatures and to provide extra flushing of effluents between etch cycles. The recipe includes all of the parameters for etching in Normal Mode plus defines the pressure and time for a pulse of N2 in between each etching pulse.
High Conductivity Mode is used for designs which are very temperature sensitive and to increase the selectivity to some materials. By introducing nitrogen between pulses we increase the rate at which the substrate cools since the thermal conductivity of the nitrogen is higher than vacuum. This can increase the selectivity because higher temperatures tend to decrease the selectivity of the XeF2 etch. The additional flushing also helps increase the selectivity since some materials (especially silicon nitride) are attacked by the etching effluents.
Main Advantages: Improved selectivity and lower substrate temperatures
Available for all Xetch models.
The Advanced Experimentation and Manufacturing Package provides support for running wafer lots and advanced process monitoring and control. It includes the following features:Multi Lot Mode
Multi Lot Mode is designed to make it easier to run large numbers of wafers or samples. This may be for running large experiments or for low to medium volume manufacturing.
It provides two main features:
- Lots of wafers can be defined and the recipe for each wafer defined in advance. The operator need only enter or confirm the wafer number to load the correct recipe for the next wafer.
- The pumping and purging of the chamber is started immediately after the etch recipe is completed and the chamber is held at vacuum waiting for the operator to unload the chamber. This means the operator does not need to wait for the pumping and purging of the chamber.
This module plots and logs temperatures recorded by two thermocouples in the process chamber. These thermocouples can be attached to the sample or to the sample holder for experimentation purposes and for process monitoring. During each etch cycle the temperature recorded on the thermocouples is displayed on a pop-up graph, along with an exponentially weighted moving average of the previous cycles' temperatures. In addition each temperature point is logged for later analysis.
Note this feature requires additional hardware beyond those supplied with the standard etchers. Hardware upgrade packages are available from XACTIX which provide the thermocouples, modifications to the vacuum stack and other necessary hardware to insert the thermocouples into the process chamber and hook them up to the Xetch.
Available as an upgrade on the e1, X3 and X4.